Sunday, January 20, 2013

Raw Bagel Recipe - Rich in Probiotics

If you follow me on instagram you know that I was experimenting with raw bagel recipes this past week (raw meaning none of the ingredients are cooked) and OH MY GOODNESS do I have a treat for you. I created pretty much the greatest thing known to mankind. Ok, perhaps that sounds extreme, but seriously, I'm pretty sure I can say it because it's true.

I started with fermented oatmeal in sauerkraut juice. Although this may turn you off right away, HALT YEE and stay on the page! I'll explain. Sauerkraut juice is FULL of probiotics, and fermenting the oatmeal in it creates a ton of living organisms that are imperative for a healthy + beautiful body.

Probiotics are key for healthy digestion, glowing skin, and the ability to actually absorb the nutrients that are in our food. Most of us are deficient in probiotics because of antibiotic use - either directly - or those that are found in industrial dairy and meat products. 

Raw Bagel with Peanut Butter


I also added a ton of fun superfoods because I had them handy, like Maca, Camu Camu, and Holy Basil, but these can be left out, or swapped with anything you have on hand. The point of trying out a recipe like this is to have fun with it, and do your own thang. And to shake it.

Without further ado, here is the most delicious recipe in the history of mankind:

Raw Bagels

3 cups of Oatmeal ( I used gluten free oats)
6 cups filtered water
1/3 cup Ground Flax
1/3 cup Sesame Seeds
1 tsp Sunflower Oil
1/2 cup Unpasteurized, Local Honey
1/3 cup Chia Seeds
2 tbsp Maca
1 tsp Camu Camu
1 tsp Holy Basil
Cinnamon, Nutmeg + Allspice to Taste

Please note - The quantities are approximate.

Directions

1. In a large bowl, pour in the oats + water. (I used a mixture of water and sauerkraut juice for extra probiotics, but it's not necessary) Allow the mixture to sit, room temperature, for 1 -3 days.

2. Pour out any excess water, and use it in smoothies or on cooked oatmeal. (It's full of friendly probiotics at this point)

3. Add in the rest of the ingredients, until a runny batter like consistency is reached.

4. Mould the batter into bagel shapes in your dehydrator. Turn on a med-high setting, and leave for 6-12 hours. Flip. Wait 3-4 hours.


The bagels take on a slightly gooey, fully delicious consistency, and go well with pretty much anything.  I toasted the bagels for a minute or two and topped them with peanut butter. My roommate + bestie had his with coconut butter and alfalfa sprouts. I also tried mine with avocado, salt, and barbecue sauce. The possibilities are endless.

Happy experimenting!

xo Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment

TOP POSTS