Sunday, November 11, 2012

Let's Talk Sex - The Goddess is Back

For most of my life I preferred to avoid sex, the topic of sex, and especially, why I was unable to get turned on in most instances when it was around. I figured I was just pure, and innocent, as my friends liked to say, and that it just wasn't a problem.

Enter my long term relationship and my spiritual path.

At the start of my relationship with my boyfriend, I was, for the first time in my life, completely turned on and loving sex. Our sex life was incredible, and I even experienced the odd 5 minute orgasm. Then, after some rocky times, something stopped working.

I no longer felt safe, turned on, or even willing to have sex, and the newfound pleasure I had been experiencing quickly vanished. Sex became difficult for me, emotionally, it scared me, and I'd do practically anything to avoid it. It took almost a year of seldom sex to really feel as though I was able to understand what was at the route of my dilemma, and I'd like to share it with all of you.






To begin this conversation, it is important to understand that the Goddess has long been suppressed - in religion, in popular culture, in politics, and in just about every aspect of life for the last few thousand years. From early on, the Catholic church made a point to demonize earth and Goddess loving religions, and turned many of the sacred symbols of such religions into unattractive, or downright evil systems. (Take the crone, for example, the powerful feminine creator was turned into a an old hag with a wart, crouched over a cauldron of bubbling brew, and we all know about the witch burnings)

With this Goddess suppression, humanity has managed to subtract half of the equation for a meaningful relationship with our sexuality.

Most religion has fought long and hard for centuries, choosing to portray sex as an unclean deed, something to be used only for procreation. This outright blasphemy of the true nature of divinity, has caused innumerable acts of despair, including the recent controversies surrounding priests molesting young children. This is what happens when we suppress our sexuality - we go crazy.

This post isn't meant to discredit the Catholic essence - I regularly call upon Jesus and Mother Mary for guidance, and am fascinated by Christian mysticism. It is meant, on the other hand, to call attention to the politics and dogma that have entered the sphere of what was once meant to be solely about love, and our relationship with the Universe, God... Spirit.

So I ask - Are you suppressing your sexuality because of a misguided belief that it is wrong? Has a religious upbringing caused you to fear sex? Are you honouring your Goddess energy, and allowing yourself to experience pleasure on a primal level?

It's not an easy road of healing to take, but it is a necessary one. A healthy expression of sexual energy is a conduit for quick manifestation, unbridled creativity, and unbounded joy. Let's take the journey together loves, for I'm still on it.

With love and light,

xo Beth

Ps. If you're interested in healing your sexuality, but need some guidance, check out Alison Braun - The Bedroom Joyologist. She has wonderful energy, and coaches women on how to find more joy both in, and out, of the bedroom.

If you'd like to start playing but don't want to go the coaching route, check out ecosex.ca - they've got toys and advice that are eco-friendly and well researched.

2 comments:

  1. Beth, what a beautiful and honest and ground shaking post! But I didn't think it was over..! What happened? What have you done to get past the indoctrinated shame/guilt complex? XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awareness is always the first step :) Tell yourself you're sexually free. Forgive the church. Forgive the past. And ask for a healing. It's a process!

    ReplyDelete

TOP POSTS