Friday, July 27, 2012

How to Find your Spirit Animals

The Hum of Three by Artist and Good Friend Katie Green




Do you ever wonder why you are irresistibly attracted to certain animals, or why you keep seeing one over and over again? It’s no coincidence - those animals are messengers from beyond the world of the physical, and they’re showing up in your life to teach you, to support you, and to offer their powerful medicine to you.

The idea of a power animal has been around for thousands of years, and its something that Indigenous cultures from all over the world have shared, despite having no contact with one another. How then, can we incorporate this ancient wisdom into our modern lives, and how do we know which animal is our spirit guide?

A Star Was Born by Artist and Good Friend Katie Green

Chances are, you don’t have just one power animal, although you do have a ‘main’ helper, which has  been with you for the duration of your life. This central totem is a good indicator of what your gifts are, and how you can best use them. You, however, attract many more than one animal teacher, and on any given day can have multiple surrounding you, offering the medicine that you need most at that time.

To find which spirit animals are with you now, I’d recommend doing 2 things: 

  • Start noticing which animals are “showing up” for you. What animals do you see often, either in person, or in picture, words, etc. Do people mention any animals around you? Notice the trends. 
  • Before you go to sleep, ask your spirit animals to come visit you during the dreamtime. They’ll never deny you, but they might not come in animal form right away, or you might forget the dream. Keep asking nightly until they show up clearly. Any animal you dream of is of significance. 

Follow the steps above, and let me know through the comments below or on facebook, which animals are showing up for you. I’ll be sharing the significance of many animals during the coming months.

Progressions byArtsist and Good Friend Katie Green

Whale by Artist and Good Friend Katie Green

Dreamer's Light by Artist and Good Friend Katie Green

9 comments:

  1. Tigers have always been huge in my life, I've always been drawn to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley! I used to see and dream of tigers often a few months ago - for me, they represented female sexuality, amongst other things. Check out this site for lots of great info on them: http://www.shamanicjourney.com/article/6008/tiger-power-animal-symbol-of-being-in-the-now-sensuality-darkness-devotion-confidence-courageb

    ReplyDelete
  3. A co-worker of mine was drawn to a glass hummingbird to buy for me and when she presented it to me she gave me a write-up about the power animal and it describes me to a "T"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both lion and wolf has been walking by my side for my whole life. I'm going to talk to them before I go to sleep to see if they shows up in my dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beth! I loved this post when you first posted it, and I took some time to call to my spirit animal. I wasn't persistant at first and it fell to the background, but this afternoon I felt compelled to call out again, to really find my main spirit animal and have them reach out to me. I spent my drive home asking my spirit animal to show, asking my angels to guide them to me. As soon as I really got comfortable with it and felt at peace, a butterfly passed in my window. It was the only animal I had seen on my drive home, so I asked if that was it. And not 1 minute down the road, another butterfly nearly ran right into my windshield! Talk about a sign showing up right in your face! Thankfully it flew upward, but it was at the very last second. When I was at home, I again asked if the butterfly was my spirit animal and as soon as I said the word, it was as thought one just appeared out of the sky. All in all, in the span of just an hour (from the time I saw the first butterfly to when I was relaxing on my back porch), I must have seen at least 10 butterflies (maybe some were the same ones, but it was 10 different times) and it felt amazing. I couldn't help but smile and just feel this sense of peace come over me, as though I was protected. And I looked down at my necklace, and lo and behold it had a butterfly on it, something I had not even noticed until that moment, despite the fact that I wear it often. I noticed a card my sister got for me that hangs on my fridge has butterflies, my notepad on my desk is a butterfly shape, a picture on my wall is of butterflies. They suddenly just appeared everywhere! And I was also reminded of the butterfly quote from just the other day on herfuture.

    I just wanted to share that with you. Thank you for bringing the topic of spirit animals up and enlightening me to yet another member of my cheering party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow thanks for the comments. Crystal that is an incredible story! I'd like to share it on my facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the age of 22 I got a butterfly tattooed on my back; I copied the design form a tattoo I had bought once; it's kind of like an abstract butterfly as if it drawn from a side angle and its wings are closed, its colors are red and black. I never knew why I chose that shape, but I loved it!
    As I read your post about ferries and then this one about power animals I seriously thought, what is my power animal? I own a deck of cards by Doreen Virtue and I have been learning to communicate with my angels all the time; on several occasions it mentioned my power animal, honestly I thought nothing of it. I thought OK this is maybe too out there for me...
    But today, after finding your blog and reflecting on animals I realize my power animal is the butterfly! All my life I remember always being totally at awe with butterflies, their color, the wings, the playfulness, the femininity... My life is at the verge of transformation, I am studying to become a Holistic Health Coach, I discovered Tarot and Angel cards on a recent business trip (strange!) and I feel this immense desire to totally change my life around... I am writing and exploring my creativity. I am so grateful for your post and for your knowledge! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeee thank you Gio for your message! Im so excited that a) you discovered your power animal but more importantly b) you feel the stirrings of epic, heart opening change within you! Keep in touch on your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'ts interesting that, for most of the people who I have heard say they've found their animal, it's always something cool, or beautiful. You know; the popular ones, animals that people like. There seems to be a lot of lions, tigers, butterflies etc. Have you ever encountered anyone whose spirit animal is an animal most people would deem ugly or unpleasant, eg a tapeworm or an angler fish or something? Or, I suppose, of all the millions of obscure species is it possible that a person could have a spirit animals that belongs to a species they don't even know exists?

    ReplyDelete

TOP POSTS